Thursday, March 31, 2011

The time has come

for me to start registering and buying baby gear.  Unfortunately, I made the mistake of calling my husband during the middle of the day to discuss what I considered a nugget on KSL.com.  I found a unisex infant car seat with two bases for $50.  I wanted Kent to shout praise and throw out accolades on my great find.  Instead I got a technical conversation about weight limits, rear facing versus front facing, safety laws, and warranties.  

Marriage 101:  My husband will never be my girlfriend.  I should have called a female!

As a result of this conversation, I am taking my baby buying questions to the mattresses as Tom Hanks would say.  So please be ready to disclose all your personal thoughts and feelings on a series of blog posts that will be coming your way.  Every woman, mother, aunt, girlfriend, and sister please leave your opinion. 

Dilemma #1:  The Car Seat

Infant ?

Graco SnugRide 35 Infant Car Seat - Laguna Bay - Graco  - Babies"R"Us

Convertible ?

Evenflo Symphony 65 Convertible Car Seat - Liberty - Evenflo  - Babies"R"Us

Or Both?

Please note the following assumption: I will have another child in 2-3 years. 

Alright, leave your comments!

9 comments:

  1. Hands down infant. You need one that has a base that you can snap the seat in and out of so your little one will have a transportable bed. Also make sure that this seat can snap into the stroller. Now, for the brand or which one, I need advice too! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say get both! I LOVED my infant car seat. I love the flexibility of carrying the infant (and 6 month old) in and out of the car without waking them up by taking them out of their seat. With that said, the convertible car seat is the practical choice. My daughter grew out of her infant car seat before she could legally face forward, and that happens a lot. Besides, the recommendations just changed to have your child rear facing until 2. If you want to follow that, you will have to invest in a convertible anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how about you buy an infant seat and I give you the convertible one Aliya has grown out of. It's gray; no pink flowers or anything. Yours if you want it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both. Buy the infant carrier now and you can get the convertible when he grows out of it anywhere from 6 to 12 months. Then he can be in the convertible for years and years if you get one that's big enough. (Charlie can still ride in ours). If you are having multiple kids they will all be using the stuff simultaneously so you'll need it all eventually! I don't love my peg infant seat--I wish I had gotten chicco.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say get both. They outgrow the infant one so fast. IT is nice to have the infant one when you got shopping and to put into a stroller. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both for sure. I've used just the Graco travel system for the infant. For the convertible, I SWEAR by the Britax. They are a little more pricey, but the are worth every penny and then some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Infant!! The baby will be much more comfortable and you can carry him much easier. My babies stayed in their infant seat till they were 9-12 months!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like everyone, I say both. We carried our babies everywhere in their infant carrier. They would sleep in it at church, dinner and movies. Plus it can just snap right into a lot of strollers. You'll want to get a convertible down the road, but definitely start with an infant seat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I'm a new momma, I'm going to go with both. Infant first, upright later. I figure the best judge of which seat the baby will use will be the baby's growth. If she's petite and stays rear facing till 2, then rear facing it'll be. If she's a tub o'lard, then I'll get to the upright seat soon enough.

    ReplyDelete